Welcome

Come with me as I travel through this great country of ours...sometimes on the back of my motorcycle....sometimes not. Experience what I see, what I hear and what I smell.



Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Alaskan Cruise-Day 2





August 1, Day 2, was spent at sea. We set out from Seattle about 4pm and will dock in Ketchikan, Alaska on August 2, or Day 3 at 6am. Our day at sea was spent relaxing and exploring the ship. We started off with a continental breakfast served in our room and then attended a seminar in the Lotus Spa and Fitness area on “detoxing your body and losing weight” at 10am. The instructor provided a lot of good information but in the end they wanted you to sign up for a $40 evaluation of your health…probably not a bad idea but we did not take advantage.

We had a light lunch at one of the grills near the fitness center and then went back to the cabin about 1pm. I changed clothes and went back to the fitness center to work out a little while Sharon read a little and took a nap. By the time I returned to the room around 3:30, she was fast asleep. I read a bit and then took a short nap myself.

Outside the window, we saw mostly water with the occasional sight of the Canadian shoreline…but only when the shoreline had some mountainous terrain that stuck up above the horizon. The weather was beautiful and the seas very calm.

Monday night was formal night on board so Sharon and I got all dressed up and made our way to the Sterling Steakhouse on board…by way of some shopping and the cruise information desk to mail some post cards…they’re in the mail!

Sharon insisted on buying me a new watch for our anniversary…like I needed one. I’ll have to put one or two of the others on EBay. Anyway, it’s a beautiful Citizen Chronograph watch that was about 50% off of retail…such a deal!

Following our shopping stop, we made our way up to the Deck 14 where we had reservations at the steak house. Interestingly, the steak house area is part of the buffet restaurant during the day but is transformed into a very nice steak restaurant after 4pm. You really couldn’t tell the difference.

The steak restaurant and the Italian restaurant are definitely high end and require a $20 cover charge per person. However, the service was excellent and very personal. For $40 we each had an excellent 8-10 oz filet mignon, baked potato, salad and delicious dessert…and I had a shrimp cocktail…definitely got our $40 worth. Tomorrow night we’ll probably eat in one of the other no-extra-charge places to try them out. I don’t know if I can handle a 10 oz steak every night anyway.

After dinner, we took in a show put on by the cruise ship’s performers. It was called “We Have the Music” and featured song and dance numbers from famous artists. It wasn’t bad. The theater on board was very nice…easily as nice as some of the theaters I’ve been in, even in New York. The seats were very comfortable and we had a good seat on the left side of the stage.

Following the show we decided to call it a night. We made our way back to the cabin and got ready for bed. Tomorrow is our first stop in Ketchikan… the rain capital of the world…13 feet per year…see you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment