Welcome

Come with me as I travel through this great country of ours...sometimes on the back of my motorcycle....sometimes not. Experience what I see, what I hear and what I smell.



Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Road Trip - South Texas

Once again, my trip to South Texas...Laredo and San Antonio...was not planned as a road trip, but rather a business trip to visit the university police departments at both locations.  Of course, why not visit some Harley dealerships if they're on the way. 

With that in mind, my first stop was in Victoria.  I had made a stop there only a week before I found out about the passport program and had not been back until now.  I couldn't very well bypass the opportunity since it wasn't that far out of the way.

I didn't need a t-shirt so I looked around a little and then got my passport signed...then hit Hwy 59 headed to Laredo.  I opted to skip lunch so I could have a nice dinner in Laredo...and to save a little time.  As it turned out, the detour to Victoria only cost me an extra 30 minutes over a normal drive to Laredo...not bad.

I had made the drive down to Victoria many times, but thinking about writing this blog I paid more attention to points of interest along the way...as sparse as that may be.  As I have found in my other road trips around the State, Texans are very creative when it comes to naming their towns, waterways and roads.  On the road to Victoria I passed through or near towns with names such as Ezzell, Schulenberg, Carmine, Roundtop, Yoakum and Inez.  I saw a lot of fertile green farmland...a drastically different sight than in West Texas.

The leg to Laredo wasn't much different, except the fertile farm land quickly gave way to acres and acres of ranch land covered with mesquite trees and scrub brush.  I only know much of the area was ranch land because I saw several large, gated entrances to ranches.  I'm not sure what they're "ranching" as I never saw any cattle or horses...or any other livestock for that matter. 

I crossed over the Guadalupe River, Munnehulla Creek, the San Antonio River, Medio Creek and the Nueces River.  The names of towns and roads were no less unique than those seen earlier in the day...Raisin, Colonge, Berclair, Deaf Smith Road, Third Road (and Second and First), Beeville, George West, Goynes Junction and Freer.  I also passed through the historic town of Goliad...population about 1,900. 

I took a short detour through the historic downtown of Goliad to see some interesting old buildings and the county courthouse...then back on the highway to my last stop of the day...Laredo H-D.

I hit the Laredo city limits at 3:30pm and followed Hwy 59 Business until I intercepted I-35 and turned north.  The dealership was about two miles further up the highway.  The dealership looks like it has been there a long time...the building is old and the sign is small...not like Odessa or Big Spring, but not like new dealerships either.  However, inside there was ample space for showroom, merchandise and parts.  The dealership's personnel were very friendly as well.

After getting my passport stamped, I drove on to my hotel near the university.  Tomorrow, I will visit the university police and saftey officer before headed to San Antonio.  On Friday, the plan is to take a short detour up I-10 to Boerne before heading home to College Station.  Once I get home, I will quickly switch cars, go by the house for fresh clothes...as necessary...and then drive to Richardson. 





No comments:

Post a Comment