Welcome

Come with me as I travel through this great country of ours...sometimes on the back of my motorcycle....sometimes not. Experience what I see, what I hear and what I smell.



Monday, October 31, 2011

Road Trip - West Texas, Day 1




Arrived in AMA about noon on Friday after an uneventful flight from CS thru DFW...with a 3-hr layover in Dallas. I went down to the USA and made myself comfortable...been a long time since I was in a USO.

Found the rental car company, retrieved my bag nag headed to Tripp H-D in Amarillo before heading south. The dealership was right on I-40, not too far from the airport so it was easy to find.

A new styled dealership, Tripp was all spit and polish with a good number of new motorcycles to see and a large merchandise area. I found a t-shirt, got my passport stamped and headed down I-27 towards Lubbock...bypassing Canyon along the way. I figured since I had the time I should go ahead and make the round-trip and save time on Saturday...may have been a bad idea in retrospect.

If you haven't been to West Texas recently...or in the past 100 years, you may have forgotten how flat it is...sure is a drastic difference between here and the Hill Country where I was last weekend. One of the first things I noticed was that there are very few creeks and/or rivers...a few stock ponds only. Also a lot of grain elevators and cotton gins.

On the way to Lubbock I passed quite a few interestingly named towns, such as Tulia...where a coke cost me $1.89!...Kress, Hale Center New Deal...guess the old one wasn't any good anymore...and Shallowater.

I made good time and found myself on the outskirts of Lubbock in about 1 1/2 hours....everything had changed a lot since I had been here several years ago so I had to totally relay on my GPS, which thankfully took me right to the correct location.

The Wild West H-D dealership looked fairly new but it wasn't on a major thoroughfare like many others...you actually had to look for this one. After looking around some, I got yet another t-shirt, had my passport signed and headed north back the way I had come.

I arrived in Canyon about 1730, checked into the hotel and rested a bit before heading to dinner. I watched most of the 7th game of the World Series...until I couldn't stand it anymore...the went to bed early...Saturday was going to be a very long day so I needed my beauty sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment