Welcome

Come with me as I travel through this great country of ours...sometimes on the back of my motorcycle....sometimes not. Experience what I see, what I hear and what I smell.



Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 2 - NYC





























Today was my first day...half day actually...at the conference. The pre-conference session was on how to facilitate a table top exercise. There were only a dozen attendees but the conversation was very helpful. The session was presented by a consultant who puts on exercises for a living.

Just before heading to the session, I asked the front desk about the dress code for going to the theater to which they responded, nothing formal. I got on line and found a ticket for the evening's performance of RAIN, a tribute to the Beatles, scheduled for 7pm.

As soon as I got back to the room, I grabbed my camera, put on a sweater and headed to Penn Station...about 3 blocks over and 2 blocks up. Sounds like it's just around the corner doesn't it? Well, going one way the blocks are only about 100 yards apart, but going the other they're more like 1/2 mile. However, I found the subway station without a problem, bought a multiple-ride ticket and jumped on the first train headed to Times Square...at least I thought so. Turns out I was headed downtown and not uptown. I got off at the next station, crossed over to the other side and caught the same train headed the right direction.

I got off at 42nd street and walked a block up to 7th Avenue. The whole area looks like Times Square, although technically I think it's at 42nd at Broadway. Anyway, the lights were already turning bright as the day began to fade. By the time I got there it was already after 5:30 so I had a maximum of 1 hour to find a place to eat and get going to the theater.

I found the place I was looking for...Bubba Gump Shrimp Company. I ate there 5 years ago and liked it so I decided to give it another try. I walked in about 5:45 so I opted to sit at the bar and order an appetizer. I had what they called "popcorn shrimp" but as I told Sharon, they weren't like you get at Red Lobster. There were 12-13 shrimp in the basket and they were good sized. There was three dips to pick from. I ate as fast as I could and walked out of the restaurant about 6:20.

I quickly walked back to the station at 42nd and 8th to catch the train...uptown this time for sure...to get off at 50th Street. At that point I wasted some time, turning the wrong direction twice, walking back to 49th Street and then over to 7th Avenue. I needed to go the other direction in both cases. The Neal Simon Theater is on 53rd Street between Broadway and 8th. I finally arrived at the front door at 6:45, picked up my ticket and was seated by 6:50.

I had the whole row to my self. The usher told me I could sit anywhere I wanted and since the row behind me...the row my seat was on...was almost full, I chose the row in front. I sat in the exact center of the theater, only quite a ways away from the stage. In fact, I think there were only 8-10 rows behind me. However, the theater is a small one and the seat was fine. Listening to the music was more important that seeing the performers in this case, besides not being able to see them clearly added to the illusion that they were really the Beatles.

The show was over a little after 9pm and I found the subway pretty quickly, got on the right train the first time and arrived at the hotel a little before 10. Tomorrow night, I think I'll try looking around...maybe in the same area again...but more slowly.

The sights and sounds of NYC at night are pretty amazing. You can see things much better walking that you could driving a car, for sure. Sessions start at 8am tomorrow and run pretty much all day...assuming I go to all of them that is. I'd like to take in the USS Intrepid and the museum again if I have time...it's not too far away. We'll see how it goes. I might try a bus tour in one of the double-decker buses if I can figure out where to get one.

See you tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment