Welcome

Come with me as I travel through this great country of ours...sometimes on the back of my motorcycle....sometimes not. Experience what I see, what I hear and what I smell.



Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 9
















Day 9 did not start well. The weather looked like it was going to cooperate so I packed the bike and joined the Benfields for breakfast. I finally got on the bike at 8:30am, got everything adjusted and hit the starter...nothing! I didn't know what the problem was but since the Benfields had a very steep driveway, I let the bike coast down to the bottom and popped the clutch. Even though the manual says not to start it that way, it works. I waived good-by and headed for the interstate.

I made good time, easily keeping my speed up without having to worry about anyone else. My gas mileage has been better than in the past...averaging around 41 mpg...so I thought I'd make good time today...if my rear end cooperated.

I stopped for gas in about an hour and then quickly got back on the highway. The interstate between Winston-Salem and Nashville was very scenic, passing through the Pisgah National Forest, the Great Smokey Mountains National Park and Cherokee National Forest. Evelyn had told me that if I had time I should stop by and see The Cove, Billy Graham's training center in Asheville...so I did, although I couldn't get through the gate. However, the surroundings are beautiful. His estate is around there somewhere but I didn't take the time to find it. A few miles prior to Asheville, I stopped at Ridgecrest, the Baptist encampment. I went there when I was in high school...on a choir tour believe it or not. It wasn't as nice as I remember but then it's been a lot of years since then.

Oh, I almost forgot. Last night, Ray mentioned that I-40 between Winston-Salem and Tennessee was now open. Apparently, rock slides on the twisting mountain road had closed it for several weeks. Even today, crews were still busy trying to bolster the sides where the roadway cut through the mountain. There was a long stretch of highway that had the outside lane closed so that they could try to make repairs. It looked like they were anchoring large sheets of what looked like chain-length fence onto the side of the mountain. In some places, they had covered the fencing with other materials. Perhaps they are trying to get something to grow over or through it. Anyway, there were no rock slides today so except for the delays with lane closures, everything went smoothly...until later.

Just after crossing the Tennessee state line, I decided I was hungry and could use some gas so I pulled off. The little town of Hartford, TN had a gas station, a couple of restaurants and a large white water rafting place...and it was very crowded. I pulled up to the pump and filled up. When I hit the starter...again nothing! This morning at least the started turned over a little. Now, I didn't even get that.

I pushed my bike over to the parking area and went inside to get some lunch. I had a very good pulled pork sandwich while thinking over my options. I could call AAA, I could try pushing it down the hill and popping the clutch or I could get a jump from someone. I opted for the latter.

I unloaded everything, got my tools out and took the seat off to access the battery. I hooked up the cables and then looked around for someone to ask. For a while I stood there looking very dejected but no one asked me if they could help. Finally, after about 15 minutes, I approached a young woman, who had parked next to me, and asked her if she had time to give me a jump. She said sure so I hooked the cables up and hit the starter...it turned over right away. As I was taking the cables off her car, my motorcycle died so I did it again. Once I had it running strong...with the throttle cracked a bit...I disconnected and closed her hood and thanked her.

I loaded up everything...all the time leaving the engine running...and hit the road. I had lost time to make up for, although I only was there a total of an hour. Not bad considering the mechanical problems. While I was standing there waiting for some help, I decided that my problem might be the running lights I had installed before the trip. Riding in the group, I hadn't used them very much, but on Monday they were on longer. Perhaps they had drained the battery more than I anticipated. As a precaution, I did not use the lights all day.

What was I going to do the next time I needed fuel? Should I turn the engine off and risk having it not start again? Well, after about 130 miles, it was time to make a decision. I pulled off the highway and pulled up to the pump at a large truck stop in Crossville, TN. I decided to refuel while the engine was running. Thankfully, there was no explosion or fire. I drove up to the store and parked in a place conveniently right in front of the door and left the engine running while I went in and used the facilities. I guess I was gambling a little bit, leaving a running motorcycle in front of the store but I figured no one would steal it because they wouldn't know if the owner was looking out the window or not.

All's well that ends well. The bike was still there when I came out so I hopped on and headed west. If I remember correctly, Crossville was pretty close to Knoxville so I didn't need fuel again until I got to Nashville. I hit the eastern edge of town at 4:30pm...the beginning of their afternoon rush hour...and decided to fight the traffic through town to the west side before finding a hotel. I had really wanted a nicer place this time, that might have a whirlpool, but I also needed one within walking distance of a Walmart...in case I needed a battery or charger...and a restaurant.

I plugged in Walmart in my GPS and drove to the nearest one. There was a Super 8...not a nicer one with a whirlpool...and across the street was a Cracker Barrel and it was only 2 blocks from the Super Walmart. I decided it was a good place for the night. I left the motorcycle running while I checked in and then drove down to the end where I had a ground floor room. I turned the engine off and unloaded everything, then I tried the starter...it started right up! It must have been the running lights after all.

I rode over to Walmart to purchase a couple of other items. I figured that if I needed to purchase a battery charger...which I had decided would be the cheapest fix and I could give the charger to Christopher since I already have one...if the engine didn't start again. However, it started just fine so I drove over to Cracker Barrel and had a very nice meal...a new menu item called Grilled Pineapple Chicken Salad.

I returned to the room, took a shower, and now sit on the bed writing this blog. It's up early in the morning and on the road by 7:00am. I think I have almost 400 miles to Melbourne so I need to make good time to get there at a descent hour...like dinner. Thus far I've traveled 2,818 miles since leaving College Station on May 24th. I probably have another 1,000 miles to go.

Tune in tomorrow to see what Day 10 holds. Until then...

1 comment:

  1. I love your posts, Dad! You write so well. :) I am sorry that you had some troubles with the battery... I hope that Day 10 is better for you! See you soon...

    ReplyDelete